Environmental Planning Intern – Salt Lake City, UT
Lochner, a leader in transportation planning, has an immediate opening in our Salt Lake City, Utah, office for an Environmental Planning/NEPA Specialist internship. The ideal candidate has an interest in environmental planning and permitting, especially in the preparation of NEPA documents according to federal and UDOT guidelines. This internship provides an opportunity to discover the transportation planning consulting industry and work with an interdisciplinary group of planners, engineers, community involvement specialists, and GIS technicians. We are seeking an enthusiastic, dependable, self-starting team player who is organized and able to work effectively under tight deadlines with minimal supervision. Responsibilities include:
• Provide assistance for the preparation of NEPA-related compliance documents and technical reports/deliverables
• Provide research and analysis support for transportation projects (including multi-modal/active transportation projects)
• Execute and deliver high-quality work products on schedule
• Support the preparation of environmental documents under NEPA, in compliance with FHWA, UDOT, and FTA regulations and procedures and related federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations, including Section 106 (National Historic Preservation Act), Section 7 (Endangered Species Act), Section 404 (Clean Water Act), and Section 4(f) (US Department of Transportation Act)
• Currently pursuing or recent completion of degree in planning, environmental policy, environmental science, engineering, biology or related field
• Exceptional writing and verbal skills, specifically with NEPA documents
• Strong communication and research skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and work in a collaborative team environment
• Ability to work effectively in both the office and field with minimal supervision
• Ability to collaborate with other environmental and engineering staff to perform NEPA-related research, data collection and document preparation for transportation clients
• Experience with geographic information systems (GIS) software and analysis (preferred)
For over 70 years, Lochner has been associated with transportation engineering innovation and integrity. Lochner maintains a solid focus on planning, environmental, and design services within the transportation sector. Founded in 1944 by Harry W. Lochner, the firm has grown to more than 500 employees nationwide.
Compensation & Benefits
Lochner provides an exceptional opportunity for students to gain experience with exciting project work and a commitment to work/life balance. Some of the many benefits we provide employees include:
• Flexible schedule for current students (15-40 hours per week)
• Compensation dependent upon experience
• Mentorship, training and opportunity for career advancement
To apply please contact Justin Peterson at jpeterson@PROTECTED
All positions at Lochner require an applicant who has accepted an employment offer to undergo a background check. Background checks include SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, a criminal check, search against global sanctions and government watch lists, fingerprint verification, and oral drug test. All employment offers are contingent upon successful results of the background check.
Start a new thread, email:
Utah Chapter APA
Email addresses will not be shared or sold.